Sackett is a market leading material handling equipment manufacturer and has experienced a significant increase in sales and new product development. The Design Engineer designs and develops new products from conception to full implementation while demonstrating attention to detail. This position collaborates with design/purchasing and shop/assembly teams on design projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Using computer-based tools and programs to design components for products or create these components by hand, to meet the brief set by the client. They create documents, which detail the specifications for each product.
- Follow plans to develop product and model prototypes that can be tested in a variety of situations. From these tests, recommendations made to improve the design and efficiency of the item and perform demonstrations for approval. Develop cost estimates for new products.
- Using internal tools, analyze designs to make sure they meet the necessary requirements and specifications. These analyses are used to evaluate whether a product is safe or practical in its current design.
- After products have been analyzed and tested, create technical documentation and reports to summarize their findings and to highlight ways to improve the project or components.
- Create Bill of Material, engineering drawings, manufacturing instructions, and user manual.
- Work with Engineering and Manufacturing personnel to improve product design and manufacturing for quality, cost, and throughput
- Carry out quality control procedures to identify production or performance problems and to find ways to minimize costs where possible. They design control systems to ensure that products meet the necessary quality standards.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
- Achievement Focus – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Sets and achieves challenging goals. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Communication – Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Continuous Learning – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance. Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Use of Technology – Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
- Planning and Organizing – Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Uses time efficiently. Works in an organized manner.
- Problem Solving – Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience – Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Ability: – Read, analyze and interpret business, professional, technical or governmental documents. Write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, customers and the public.
- Mathematical Ability – Comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, algebra and advanced statistical theory. Work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems. Comprehend and apply principles of strength of materials.
- Reasoning Ability – Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, ERP system (NetSuite), AutoCad/Inventor or equivalent.
- Certificates and Licenses – None
- Supervisory Responsibilities: none
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
Sackett Systems offers a growing environment, competitive wages and excellent benefits including 401K. Email your resume and cover letter to: Careers@sackettsystems.com